Patient Access Representative (PRN - As Needed)
Company: Children's National Hospital
Posted on: May 26, 2023
This position reports to the Patient Access Supervisor or
Manager. Provide patient services and administrative support in
ancillary operations. Interact
with parents, patients, physicians and other staff under moderate
supervision in a courteous manner. Provide assistance to other
their department as well as other departments. Collect and verify
all demographic information to ensure accuracy . May provide
required notification of
scheduled and unscheduled services according to insurance provider
requirements. May be responsible to schedule patients for
appointments. Position may be required to float to ancillary
patient access areas for coverage (ED, RAD, LAB, AMSAC etc.). Next
step in career
ladder is Senior Patient Access Rep.
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
2 years Related experience (Required)
Broad knowledge in administrative processes, customer service
Computer knowledge necessary.
Microsoft Office experience preferred (Word & Excel).
Complete Patient Access training curriculum and pass all competency
The ability to type minimum of 35 words per minute required.
- Demonstrate accuracy of scheduling patients using the
applicable scheduling system for the department. Verify applicable
charge codes corresponds with diagnostic codes. Enter information
into billing/registration system.
- Complete computer aided, on-line registration screen with
parent/guardian via telephone or in person in professional &
- Collect accurate demographic and insurance information. Update
systems as needed in accordance with department standards for
registration accuracy . Complete bedside registration for ED
- Reschedule appointment for patients who did not show or for the
ancillary services cancellations by providers/technologist.
Schedule follow up appointments at check out if applicable.
- Greet patients and parents courteously. Arrive patient in
appropriate system based on department policy .
- Obtain required consents for department & ensure distribution
of compliance related materials (i.e. HIPPA Privacy Notice, Patient
Rights). Obtain copy of insurance card and photo ID to be stored in
medical record (copy or scan activity required). Ensure applicable
insurance company and CNMC HIM department receive copies of
appropriate forms/documentation. Complete all documentation in
accordance with department policy and procedure.
- Respond to patient portal work lists (i.e. appointment
requests, fax queues, email requests, etc. May include messaging
center work lists in the future). Information Verification
- Verify insurance eligibility using applicable eligibility
system. Ensure managed care carve outs (lab and radiology carve
outs) are adhered to.
- Advise leadership of any authorization issues at the time of
check-in. Identify surgeries/diagnostic testing without an
authorizations. Contact provider's office or scheduling coordinator
to address issue timely without delaying patient care.
- Notify parents of the need for completed insurance referral
form or pre-authorization prior to scheduled/unscheduled
- Discuss co-payment, deposits, payment in full, or past due
balance collections with parents in a professional & courteous
- Counsel parents or refer parent to Financial Information Center
(FIC) for establishing payment schedule or method of payment.
- Verify insurance information is complete prior to procedure and
collect and verify pre-authorization/referral information: goal is
to obtain authorizations 5 days in advance of service.
- Utilize all systems where patient information may be stored
(EPRS, SCI, Cerner, IDX, McKesson, etc.) to verify that systems are
in synch. Cash Collection
- Collect and record co-payments, deposits and payments in full
and provide payer with receipt. Responsible for helping department
meet 85% of the collection target for the department.
- Maintain departmental requirements regarding cash controls and
collections Billing Preparation
- For ancillary services ensure all applicable
orders/scripts/referrals are obtained prior to services being
- Appropriately clear all walk-in and ensure
scheduled/unscheduled appointments are linked to scheduling
- Responsible to ensure daily quality review of all registration
processed real-time. Office Support
- Answer telephone and address caller needs appropriately. Avoid
transferring calls for better service to families. Meet department
standards relative to ACD policies if applicable. Manage voice mail
messages within same business day .
- Distribute mail. May work returned mail as needed.
- All staff are responsible for information distributed via
e-mail. Staff should check work email a minimum of 3 times daily
and respond to inquiries within 24 hours (or next business day).
- Maintain office files and office supplies at P AR levels.
- Maintain clean reception area and work space.
- Other support as needed. Organizational Accountabilities
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until
needs are met Teamwork/Communication
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others' ideas and opinions Performance
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment Cost
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things Safety
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for
decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think,
Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Keywords: Children's National Hospital, Rockville , Patient Access Representative (PRN - As Needed), Other , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...