Staff Accountant - Payroll/Accounts Payable
Company: Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (
Posted on: January 23, 2023
About the Organization
The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) creates
and manages alliances with public and private institutions in
support of the mission of the National Institutes of Health (NIH),
the world's premier medical research agency. The Foundation, also
known as the FNIH, works with its partners to accelerate biomedical
research and strategies against diseases and health concerns in the
United States and across the globe. The FNIH organizes and
administers research projects; supports education and training of
new researchers; organizes educational events and symposia; and
administers a series of funds supporting a wide range of health
issues. Established by Congress in 1990, the FNIH is a
not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Please see our web site at www.fnih.org for more information
regarding benefits including 100% paid health, dental, and vision
insurance for employees with subsidized health insurance for
dependents; subsidized parking; 403(B) with immediate vesting and
match; all the federal holidays plus one; and more.
The FNIH is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. The
FNIH celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive
environment for all employees.
The Staff Accountant performs routine accounting and finance
functions with a high degree of accuracy, accountability, autonomy,
and confidentiality. The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible
for supporting the Foundation's payroll processing. This involves
on-boarding and training new employees on various financial systems
and expense reporting. The Staff account collects employee
timesheets and payroll data, calculates wages and deductions, and
is an integral member of the accounts payable team.
- Prepare bi-monthly payroll submissions to the Foundation's
payroll provider, including adding new employees, deleting
terminated employees, making salary changes, tracking, and adding
one-time payments (e.g., Deferred Bonuses) and making any other
payroll related changes.
- Manage timesheets process.
- Participate with human resources and operations teams in the
new employee on-boarding process including collecting and
submitting tax and benefits related forms, training and/or
providing access to training materials for timesheet recording and
expense reimbursement systems.
- Resolve payroll discrepancies and answer any employee payroll
- Maintain all payroll operations according to company policies
and procedures. Identify and pursue opportunities to improve
related business processes to increase efficiency and improve
- Serve as thought partner with Finance and Operations team in
designing and implementing payroll and HRIS system
- Prepare month-end closing processes including FNIH payroll cost
allocation to FNIH programs, using submitted timesheet data.
- Manage Expense Wire reconciliation and process benefits
- Assist with preparing Annual Reports (i.e., 941-Reports for the
retirement Audit, FSA and other annual payroll required
- Serve as back-up and, depending upon volume and circumstances,
provide support to the weekly Accounts Payable payment process.
Responsibilities may include reviewing payment submissions in the
General Ledger for accuracy and required account coding, submitting
payments into the Bank system, credit card processing, maintenance
of 1099 information, and required annual vendor reporting.
- Assist with Year-end Audit, including preparation of financial
audit schedules as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned to assist in meeting department and
Foundation goals and deadlines. Position Requirements
- Experience managing payroll (3 to 5 years) including experience
with an outsourced Payroll Provider (ADP, Paychex) and a bachelor's
degree in finance or accounting. A combination of experience and
education will be considered.
- Attention to detail and strong computer skills such as typing,
system and software knowledge, accurate data entry skills with
great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to
communicate with employees regarding their issues and
- Knowledge of wage withholding orders.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential matters and
- Ability to multitask and to prioritize work under specific and
- Ability to work independently in a time-sensitive
- Confidentially and respect for the privacy of employee
- Experience in a not-for profit environment preferred but not
- Technical experience with spreadsheet programs, general ledger
reports and financial management tools. Experience with Accounting
Software such as Blackbaud's Financial Edge. Knowledge of fund
accounting principles, practices and
Keywords: Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (, Rockville , Staff Accountant - Payroll/Accounts Payable, Other , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!