Company: Medical Science
Posted on: June 6, 2021
We are currently searching for a Genomics Specialist to provide
support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This
opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in
Duties & Responsibilities
- Implement, design, develop, and innovate current and emerging
computational biology and bioinformatics algorithms to interpret,
illustrate scientific data
- Enter into scientific collaborations with physicians and
scientists that include the potential for authorships and
acknowledgements in publications
- Gather detailed requirements from stakeholders and identify
existing tools to perform the novel analyses or develop
algorithms/tools to perform analysis
- Apply cancer genomics methodology into the bioinformatic
activities of the lab
- Document and manage collaborative and consultant assistance and
training provided to researchers
- Provide on-site, on-demand support and troubleshooting to
researchers in the use of computational biology software
- Research, design, and deliver training materials to effectively
communicate, promote, and advance computational biology techniques
and software usage
- Remain abreast on current and emerging computational biology
technologies and tools
- Learn, adapt and improve on new analytical methods from
- Develop analytical and data visualization pipelines for genomic
data generated in the lab.
- Communicate efficiently with PIs, trainees and other
- Assist with generation of publishable results - plots, tables
and outline of data analysis and assist with training of lab staff
in these areas.
- Provide support for and advise on the content of all scientific
papers across a range of tumor types, including melanoma, lung and
- Assist with the mentoring of postdocs and PhD students.
- Ph.D. or MS in bioinformatics, computer Science, computational
biology, bioinformatics, genetics, physical, or computational
sciences or related field
- Minimum of three (3) to four (4) years of experience working in
a genomics-related field.
- Subject matter expertise in epidemiological studies and cancer
- Expertise in genomic analysis, specifically for HiCHIP and
chromatin interactions, building both analysis and
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics in relation to generation
and analysis of genomic data - RNA-seq, ChIp-Seq, ATAC-seq,
chromatin interaction studies, HiC, HiChiP
- Familiarity with databases - TCGA, GTEx, ENCODE, 1000 Genomes,
- Good data management and record keeping habits/techniques.
- Good understanding of genomics, molecular biology, and
technologies such as qPCR and next-generation sequencing
- Experience with a high-performance parallel computing
environment (e.g., SGE, PBS)
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written, and oral
communication skills to convey computational biology principles and
concepts to non-specialists in a clear and precise manner and
advise on relevant software and tools with a dedication to customer
- Ability to work independently or as part of a
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including
the ability to learn new software quickly
- Ability to concurrently work on multiple complex projects with
effective time management skills, a high level of personal and
professional drive and initiative, and attention to detai
- Familiarity with common methods of statistical analysis using
R, Python or related software
- Experience with genomic diagnosis of rare diseases and
filtering variants using family-based genetic models (e.g.,
autosomal recessive/dominant, compound heterozygous, etc.),
including experience with relevant related tools for finding
disease-causing variants (e.g. VAAST/pVAAST, GEMINI)
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain
expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve
complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a
rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit,
customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency
missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to
advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to
develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of
innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow
you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to
keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options
like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs,
we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care
Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or
transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you
covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance
Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs,
company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and
have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to
diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics,
are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
or veteran status.
Keywords: Medical Science, Rockville , Genomics Specialist, Other , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!