Computational Genomics Specialist, Clinical
Company: Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company
Posted on: January 8, 2022
We are currently searching for a Computational Genomics
Specialist, Clinical to provide support to the National Institutes
of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC,
and it is on-site in Rockville and Bethesda, MD. Duties &
- Implement, design, develop, and innovate current and emerging
computational biology and bioinformatics algorithms to analyze,
manage, interpret, visualize, and illustrate original scientific
- Enter into scientific collaborations with physicians and
scientists that include the potential for authorships and
acknowledgements in publications.
- Gather detailed requirements from stakeholders and identify
existing tools to perform the novel analyses or develop
algorithms/tools to perform the analysis.
- Document and manage collaborative and consultant assistance and
training provided to researchers.
- Provide on-site, on-demand support and troubleshooting to
researchers in the use of computational biology software.
- Research, design, and deliver training materials to effectively
communicate, promote, and advance computational biology techniques
and software usage by NIH researchers.
- Remain abreast on current and emerging computational biology
technologies and tools.
- Partner with software developers to integrate genomic software
solutions within enterprise platforms. Requirements
- Ph.D. (or MS with 3+ years of relevant experience, or BS with
5+ years of relevant experience) in computational biology,
bioinformatics, genetics or related life, physical, or
computational sciences with at least one publication demonstrating
the use or development of computational biology applications.
- Good understanding of genomics, molecular biology, and
technologies such as qPCR and next-generation sequencing.
- Two years of experience in the analysis of large-scale genomic
sequencing data including variant analysis from whole genome or
exome sequencing data and experience with a broad spectrum of
relevant open-source software or pipelines (e.g., BWA, GATK,
SnpEff, VEP, etc.)
- Proficiency in the use of UNIX/Linux and its command-line
environment, including scripting (e.g., Python, R, Perl, shell, or
- Experience with a high-performance parallel computing
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written, and oral
communication skills to convey computational biology principles and
concepts to non-specialists in a clear and precise manner and
advise on relevant software and tools with a dedication to customer
- Ability to work independently or as part of a
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including
the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Ability to concurrently work on multiple complex projects with
effective time management skills, a high level of personal and
professional drive and initiative, and attention to detail.
- Experience with genomic diagnosis of rare diseases and
filtering variants using family-based genetic models (e.g.,
autosomal recessive/dominant, compound heterozygous, etc.),
including experience with relevant related tools for finding
disease-causing variants (e.g. VAAST/pVAAST, GEMINI).
- Experience with structural variation analysis from
next-generation sequencing data
- Experience constructing pipelines in open architecture
platforms (e.g. Snakemake), including end-to-end tasks for NGS
- Experience with genetic association methods (case-control,
burden testing, family-based linkage analysis).
- Experience with RNA-seq + genome assembly using tools such as
HISAT2, STAR, DESeq2.
- Familiarity with common methods of statistical analysis using
R, SAS, or related software.
- Familiarity with algorithms and algorithm development for
bioinformatics, including composing, editing, and compiling
- Familiarity with problems and bottlenecks associated with
storage and management of genomic-scale data.
- Familiarity with the use of open-source bioinformatics
applications employing ontologies, pathways, and/or networks, at
both the individual gene and genomic scales.
- Strong background in molecular/cellular biology, immunology,
and/or virology, including "bench" experience.
- Ability to propose and develop new methodologies for analyzing
biomedical data. #LI-DD1 Due to our contractual requirements, to be
eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19 at time of hire. Company Description Dovel Technologies
and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace
Info Solutions) were acquired in October 2021. Guidehouse is a
leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector
and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management,
technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and
private sector expertise, we help clients address their most
complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures
focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and
technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory,
consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable,
innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and
position them for future growth and success. The company has more
than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse
is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned
professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and
emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving
national and global economies. Guidehouse is an Equal Employment
Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military
status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual
orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic
information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or
regulation. Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the
requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair
Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco. If you have
visited our website for information about employment opportunities
or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please
contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1- or via email at Guidehouse does
not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or
staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the
property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay
a placement fee.
Keywords: Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, Rockville , Computational Genomics Specialist, Clinical, Healthcare , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!