Senior Director of Human Resources
Company: Maryland Nonprofits
Posted on: September 14, 2023
Senior Director of Human ResourcesEveryMindStatus: Full-time,
exempt employeeSalary: $155,000-$175,000Location: Rockville, MD
Reports to: Chief Operating OfficerDeadline: Apply by mid-September
for best consideration. About EveryMindEveryMind strengthens
communities and empowers individuals to reach optimal mental
wellness. Founded in 1957, EveryMind is a trusted mental health
resource providing direct services, community education, and
advocacy. Its services bring healing, hope, and wholeness to youth,
adults, veterans, and families. EveryMind works to reduce the
stigma associated with mental illness and ensure community members
have the mental health resources they need. Annually, EveryMind
provides direct services to more than 16,000 individuals throughout
the entire National Capital Region, with a focus on vulnerable and
low-income residents. EveryMind provides counseling, case
management, and support services for people experiencing
homelessness, crisis prevention, and intervention services,
including emergency hotlines and signature programs including:
- ServingTogether: Education, information, referrals, and care
coordination for veterans, service members, and their families
throughout the National Capital and Greater Baltimore regions.
- Linkages to Learning: School-based mental health services for
students and families in 12 elementary and middle schools in
- Counseling: Provide individual, family, and group counseling as
well as care management and therapeutic recreation services through
school- and community-based settings.
- 24/7 Hotline/988: Trained staff and volunteers provide
supportive listening, information and resource referrals, and
crisis intervention through telephone, text, and chat
- Homeless and Housing Support: Services are available to support
adults who are homeless or facing homelessness, with a goal of
connecting them to shelter or permanent housing options. Learn more
by visiting https://www.every-mind.org/.Position OverviewThe Senior
Director of Human Resources will lead efforts to develop and
sustain talent management, recruitment, total rewards, and
professional development that support the growth of the
organization and its workforce, including staff, interns, and
volunteers. In the past few years, EveryMind has experienced rapid
growth in its services, workforce, and revenue and seeks an
experienced, confident professional to lead its human resources
strategy and function.The Senior Director is integral to
EveryMind's success, particularly in serving the needs of its
growing 400+-person workforce, including 200+ employees and nearly
200 volunteers. The value of EveryMind's services depends upon the
effective functioning of well-qualified personnel, and the Senior
Director of Human Resources guides EveryMind's commitment to an
inclusive, positive, and supportive work environment. The Senior
Director will share EveryMind's commitment to equity, diversity,
and inclusivity and can translate this vision into workplace
practices that respect individual differences and recognize the
value of all people, cultures, and ideas. This role will also
liaise with the organization's established Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion (DEI) Council and lead the implementation of strategic
initiatives and organizational change related to DEI.The Senior
Director leads a 5-person Human Resources team, including a Human
Resources Director, HR Generalist, Talent Acquisition Specialist,
HR Coordinator, and Training and Development Specialist, as well as
consultants and interns. The Senior Director of Human Resources
reports to the Chief Operating Officer.Key
Responsibilities:Organizational Human Resources Strategy
- Lead long-term human capital planning strategies and policy
- Serve as organizational HR expert on key strategic, managerial,
and cultural issues, including getting buy-in from senior
leadership on new initiatives.
- Work with the leadership team to set a strong, clear
organizational culture and ensure consistency to that culture
across the organization's senior leaders.
- Lead all aspects of the organization's Human Resources
functions, including total compensation, rewards, and benefits,
recruitment and selection, organizational development, performance
management, training, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and
regulatory compliance, work/life and diversity strategies, and
- Set strategic goals associated with human resource capacity and
- Update and finetune HR systems and processes (e.g., recruiting,
hiring, professional development, performance, benefits, and
compensation), grounded in an equity lens.
- Create and implement an approach to measure and evaluate human
capital-related policies, procedures, and practices.
- Partner with senior leaders to ensure human capital needs are
reflected in their annual budgets.
- Ensure the human resources function has a strong grounding in
equity, including approaches to recruitment, professional
development, and performance management.
- Work with the established Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Council to recommend and implement strategies to advance equity
goals.Support Managers and Staff Across the Organization
- Coach and support senior leaders to strategically address
evolving human resource needs.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external
stakeholders.Human Resources Department Management
- Lead and mentor the HR director and team to facilitate talent
acquisition, retention, diversification, growth, compensation,
performance, training, and professional development of EveryMind's
- Develop and manage an annual departmental budget $500,000.
- Set departmental goals and measure performance for
effectiveness and success.Legal and Administrative Operations
- Ensure effective internal controls to assure safeguarding and
reliability of information and compliance with all applicable
requirements and regulations.
- Oversee complex, sensitive, and multi-faceted workplace
investigations involving EEO laws, civil rights complaints, and
agency policy violations, such as discrimination, harassment,
workplace bullying, and retaliation.
- Prepare and analyze special studies and risk management
protocols, as required.Experience, Skills, and QualitiesThis
position will be a challenging and rewarding opportunity that
requires a diverse set of skills and experiences. While we
understand that no single candidate can possess every qualification
listed below, the following are priority areas.
- No less than 10 years in progressive HR leadership roles.
- Expert knowledge of core HR operations, including total
compensation and rewards, employment policies, compliance, payroll,
recruiting, benefits, and performance evaluations.
- Developed and implemented organization-wide HR strategy,
including change management.
- Well-versed in business management, organizational development,
and labor laws.
- A significant supervisory record, including managing multiple
direct reports, developing high-performing teams, and setting an
inclusive, positive workplace culture.
- A sophisticated understanding of how race, gender, and other
aspects of identity impact supervisory relationships and
organizational culture. Can demonstrate a history of deepening an
equity culture within an organization, team, or project.
- A hands-on work style and an ability to work in a collaborative
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail,
including managing multiple projects on different timelines.
- Strong presentation skills, including the ability to deliver
training on HR-related topics.
- Experience coaching, counseling, mediating, and resolving
- Strong PC/database skills with experience in Microsoft Office
platforms; comfort with current HR technology and information
- Able to maintain confidentiality in accordance with
organizational and federal guidelines.Considered a Major Plus:
- Experience in an organization experiencing rapid growth
- PHR/SPHR certificationCompensationThe starting salary range for
this position is $155,000-$175,000, with a generous benefits
package including health, dental, and vision insurance, matched
retirement savings, and generous paid time off.Working
LocationEveryMind's primary office is in Rockville, Maryland; this
position has a hybrid work schedule.Application ProcessEveryMind
has retained the services of Good Insight, a national executive
search firm serving small nonprofits. Interested applicants should
submit a resume and a cover letter that describes their interest in
and qualifications for this role. Direct confidential inquiries to
Kate Dykgraaf at EveryMind@good-insight.org. Upload application
materials at good-insight.org/careers.For best consideration, apply
by mid-September. Qualified applicants will be contacted on a
rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged due to the pace of
the search.Equal Opportunity EmployerEveryMind provides equal
employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, or disability.
Keywords: Maryland Nonprofits, Rockville , Senior Director of Human Resources, Executive , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!