DevOps Site Reliability Engineer
Company: General Dynamics Information Technology
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Type of Requisition:RegularClearance Level Must Currently
Possess:NoneClearance Level Must Be Able to
Obtain:NoneSuitability:No Suitability RequiredPublic Trust/Other
Required:BI Full 6C (T4)Job Family:Systems EngineeringJob
We are seeking a DevOps Site Reliability Engineer to join our team
to support the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases (NIAID) in Rockville, MD. As a DevOps Site Reliability
Engineer, you will collaborate with product owners to design and
deploy business and scientific products on a custom Docker platform
as a service (Paas) in Amazon Web Services (AWS). You will work
closely with nine other innovative and savvy people to engineer and
expand the PaaS with new tools and technologies. You'll help
automate and streamline our operations and processes, and further
the adoption of DevOps best practices. We'll want your opinion on
operational processes, DevOps, deployment checklists, and more. (A
focus on always-up, always-available services is a plus.) To be
successful in this role, you will like being a part of a team and
be capable of teaching others and explaining the "why" behind
complicated technical decisions.
What GDIT Can Offer You
- Opportunity to participate in an evolution movement.
- Opportunity to stay at the forefront of distributed computing
- See the business impact of technology.
- Ability to expand your cloud infrastructure knowledge and
adoption of DevOps best practices.
In this role, a typical day will include:
- Collaborating with software developers in designing solutions
to host and deploy custom business and scientific applications on
our PaaS in AWS.
- Joining sprint or ad hoc meetings to discuss requirements for
products and brainstorm new technical solutions. Then either
collaboratively or independently, implement the solutions, such as
a standard offering in the PaaS for hosting graph databases or a
supported configuration for a custom application with multiple
- Working closely with other Site Reliability Engineers to
enhance and expand fundamental capabilities offered in the PaaS,
such as CI/CD, infrastructure as code, and containerized or
- When CI/CD deployment pipelines fail, you'll troubleshoot these
issues, working closely with product owners until the problem is
- Attending a daily stand-up meeting to report your
accomplishments, plans for the day, and any roadblocks you
encountered. Your team will do the same, giving you an opportunity
to understand and contribute to other ongoing initiatives.
- Breaking down monolithic applications hosted on-prem into
micro-service architecture hosted in containers or using serverless
workloads. This is part of an effort to refactor applications and
shift hosting from on-prem infrastructure to the PaaS in AWS.
- Occasionally present to your team or our software developer
colleagues, on DevOps best practices, new and interesting cloud
technologies, and ways you approached and solved challenging
technical issues during our Tech Talks webinar series.
- BA/BS or equivalent and eight years related experience or a MS
and six years experience
- Minimum of three years experience with AWS.
- Experience with commonly used services such as EC2, S3, Route
53, and RDS, as well as more niche services, such as Organizations,
Sage Maker, and Guard Duty.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and
automation/configuration management using either Cloud Formation or
Terraform to define infrastructure standards for cloud
- Ability to use a wide variety of technologies to host container
services and registries, continuous deployment and continuous
integration services, code repositories, and security vulnerability
identification to support cloud infrastructure. Example
technologies include AWS ECS, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, GoCD,
AWS ECR, Artifactory, Twistlock, and Netsparker.
- Good understanding of programming languages, such as PHP,
Python, Perl, and/or Ruby.
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding
systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in
current components that must be resolved to reach future
performance targets and functionality requirements in cloud
- Must be able to obtain a NIH Public Trust
- Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and
non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of
- Extensive knowledge about APIs. You can design RESTful services
and integrate with other data providers, and you know when to use
JSON or XML.
- Experience designing and implementing technologies following
NIST standards, such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40Travel Required:NoneTelecommuting
Options:Some Telecommuting AllowedWork Location:USA MD
RockvilleAdditional Work Locations:We are GDIT. The people
supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and
intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the
expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We
transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and
innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow
is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the
lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology
transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or
any other protected class.
Keywords: General Dynamics Information Technology, Rockville , DevOps Site Reliability Engineer, Engineering , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!