Company: Foundation of the NIH
Posted on: January 15, 2022
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: The Foundation for the National
Institutes of Health (FNIH) creates and manages alliances with
public and private institutions in support of the mission of the
National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's premier medical
research agency. The Foundation, also known as the FNIH, works with
its partners to accelerate biomedical research and strategies
against diseases and health concerns in the United States and
across the globe. The FNIH organizes and administers research
projects; supports education and training of new researchers;
organizes educational events and symposia; and administers a series
of funds supporting a wide range of health issues. Established by
Congress in 1990, the FNIH is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable
organization.EOE STATEMENT: The FNIH is an equal opportunity
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by law. The FNIH celebrates diversity and
is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all
employees.DescriptionUnder the supervision of the Vice President of
Finance, Controller, the Senior Accountant performs complex
accounting and analytical functions with a high degree of accuracy,
accountability, autonomy and confidentiality and is primarily
responsible for project budgeting, accounting, and financial
reporting. The Senior Nonprofit Accountant is a key resource for
developing and tracking the annual operating and project budgets,
spending rate analyses, and indirect cost recovery. Key
- Responsible for the month-end close process, including
preparation of account reconciliations, journal entries, and
- Responsible for Accounts Receivable process including recording
and processing donor invoices, submitting funding requests and
recording cash receipts and other payments.
- Coordinate 403(B) retirement plan compliance activities
including 5500 submissions and annual retirement plan audit.
- Responsible for Revenue Recognition process including check log
review and revenue reconciliation with the Development
- Prepare periodic financial reports, monitor and analyze project
revenue, spending, commitments and available cash.
- Responsible for monthly investment schedules; prepare and
record investment journal entries.
- Responsible for monthly salary allocations.
- Prepare and update Fixed Assets Schedule.
- Responsible for weekly electronic payments
- Lead financial planning, budgeting, reporting, and
troubleshooting for a growing portfolio of assigned projects.
Prepare journal entries for month-end entries for assigned areas,
including but not limited to cost allocations and indirect cost
- Assist with improving, implementing, and documenting processes
and internal control policies and procedures.
- Maintain a strong control environment ensuring compliance with
policies and procedures.
- Function as the primary backup and support for finance and
accounting team roles as assigned by management.
- Year-end audit assistance, including preparation of financial
- Other duties as assigned to assist in meeting department and
Foundation goals and deadlines POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting with a minimum of
five years of progressive experience in a not-for profit
- CPA and/or MBA a plus.
- Technical experience with Excel, general ledger reports and
- Experience with fund accounting principles, practices and
- Must possess the ability to influence without direct
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work with careful
attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a changing environment and as part of a
team, taking on tasks at all levels.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and
customers in a cooperative and friendly manner. PM21
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a cross
functional, team oriented environment at all levels of the
- Strong analytical skills, detail orientation, trustworthiness,
and ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
FULL-TIME/PART-TIME: Full-TimeLOCATION: Maryland, Rockville
Keywords: Foundation of the NIH, Rockville , Senior Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!