Senior Accountant II
Company: NIH Federal Credit Union
Posted on: October 14, 2020
We are looking for more than just an employee, we are looking for a
true team member dedicated to enhancing the member experience! Come
join the credit union movement and Discover Banking With Heart at
NIHFCU! Be a part of our team where commitment to members with
exceptional service and banking solutions that enhances their lives
is our mission. If helping people and making a difference appeals
to you, this is the place for you!At NIHFCU, one of our core values
is investing in our employees, which is why we offer perks like
these: --- Benefit Package for all Full time employees includes
health, dental, vision, Life insurance benefits--- 401(K) and
profit sharing--- Tuition Reimbursement--- Career Advancement and
development--- Credit Union Membership with discounted services and
productsGENERAL SUMMARYThe Senior Accountant operates within the GL
team and is responsible for all GL activities of the company. This
position is tasked with learning daily accounting operational
duties, provides day-to-day operational support to both the
Accounting Supervisor and Controller. Must be detail oriented and
adaptable to evolving technology and business processes. Ability
and experienced to function effectively in a fast paced, deadline
oriented environment. Will need to use their research and problem
solving skills to independently complete and resolve complex
general ledger reconciliations and assigned projects in conjunction
with NIHFCU strategic and operating business plan objectives
adhering to established policies and procedures, GAAP, and
regulatory requirements. An ideal candidate would be a team player
who fosters teamwork within both the Accounting department and
cross-departmental projects. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete all regulatory reporting and ensure that reporting is
in compliance with applicable rules and regulations. This includes
the quarterly NCUA call report and the FR-2900 report.
- Develop and adhere to a system of strong internal controls
within the accounting function.
- Work cohesively with other departments to ensure that the
information coming into the accounting department is accurate and
develop recommendations as necessary to improve that accuracy.
- Reconcile and monitor accounts related to deferred employee
401K, defined benefit and executive retirement accounts.
- Perform analysis, prepare, and post JMFA Courtesy Pay Program
general ledger entries.
- Monitor Prologue Database Unattended Processing Jobs daily and
ensures core system files are processed successfully.
- Support the general ledger accounting period close while
maintaining a high level of precision. Review month-end entries for
accuracy and work to ensure the month-end checklist is updated
- Responsible for adding all-new GLs, renaming GLs, and
cross-referencing them to the core GL mapping. Communicates all
changes to the team and assigns the frequency of the
- Responsible for the reconciliation of the Allowance for Loan
Loss general ledger and associated charge-off and recovery
- Review general ledger reconciliations for accuracy and resolve
any variances or identified errors. Adhering to the following
guidance: 1. Within 30 days outstanding: Anticipated clearing in
the next 30 days or known documented variance. 2. Within 60 days
outstanding: items to be brought to the attention of the Accounting
Supervisor for assistance in resolving. 3. Within 90 days
outstanding: write off or sound documented basis for retaining
longer. Advise VP, Controller of these items.
- Monitor and work with Mortgage Servicing and reconciliation
vendor QIE Partners for Mortgage Servicing custodial accounts
(FHLMC & FNMA) reconciliation.
- Monitor changes to regulatory guidelines and ensure accounting
processes comply with generally accepted accounting
- Ensure that work results and processes comply with relevant
laws and with established NIHFCU policies, procedures, and
- Reports to the Controller, Accounting Supervisor, Human
Resources or to senior management any actual or suspected fraud or
financial dishonesty or wrong-doing involving Member transactions,
employees, or NIHFCU.
- Support satisfactory audit ratings. Provide historical
schedules and analysis as requested for audit and review activities
of NIHFCU operations by internal audit, compliance personnel,
external auditor and examiners.
- Participate in teams with NIHFCU employees and or vendors,
providing guidance for proper entry and reporting of transaction
activity in a timely and accurate manner.
- Access Member or Employee's personal and financial information
only as required by the job. Maintain the confidentiality and
security of all Member or Employee's personal and financial
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Employee should have a minimum BA/BS degree (or equivalent in
the case of international candidates) in Accounting, Finance or
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience in General Accounting.
- Five years of experience preferred in financial institution
- Master's degree in Accounting or Finance preferred. Technical
- Employee must possess an understanding of how to operate
standard office equipment effectively, demonstrated ability to work
with associates and senior management as well as external parties
such as auditors/examiners and vendors, and perform at an
intermediate-level in MS Excel, MS Word, and MS Outlook and at an
intermediate-level for additional proprietary applications.
- The employee must have demonstrated ability to perform in
computer intensive environments, comprehend the interaction of
electronic system interfaces, and possess intermediate-level skills
to retrieve and convert the form of electronic data into a format
useful in other productive operations, and demonstrate good
- Ability to articulate semi-complex to complex issues across all
levels of management and with vendors. PM18NIHFCU is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or
applicants based on race, color, religion, sex/gender, national
origin, disability, age, or any other category protected by law.
Keywords: NIH Federal Credit Union, Rockville , Senior Accountant II, Accounting, Auditing , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!